Wednesday, July 22, 2015

UPDATED! Polar Fusing - Glass Fusing - Microwave Kiln

Someone asked about polar fusing and I had a bunch of pics ready to write a blog post about it, so I got busy writing! I had no prior experience and have a ton of molds and had bought the Polar Fuse kits @ Hobby Lobby so I read some article and then dove in. This is what worked for me. It isn't difficult to do but I did it a little differently than many directions tell you. I started off by putting some purified water in the molds..I used some Martha Stewart molds I've been waiting for a chance to try. You place some of the powder in there (I cut the end off a straw and made a little shovel with it) on top of the water. After you get enough in there it settles...I used a small spoon to press it into the corners of the mold very hard so there would be no gaps or bubbles in the final product. They are silicone molds so you can press very hard...just try not to make it crack.

These pictured below have not been fired yet...just out of the freezer. I did wait a few times i tried this method for it to thaw out (and you must have them frozen very solid so don't listen to directions that tell you one hour in the freezer is sufficient!) but after a few times I just fused them right out of the freezer...I DID go very slowly in my microwave, starting at 10% power for 9 minutes, then 5 mins at 20%, then 3 minutes at 30%, 40%, 50%, and continued at 60% until they were completely (or mostly!) fused. I figured doing it that way would give it time to thaw out and for the minimal amount of water in it to dissipate. I used two different colors in these.


Here's a Martha Stewart (MS) flower from one of her molds. I put some mica powder on my finger and rubbed the high spots of it, which turned out to be a good thing to do!


Here is the flower after fusing. I had a little crack or something happen but the mica brought out the highlights on the flower. The bird, I am sorry to say, blew up in the kiln! I heard a "pwoof" and opened the kiln to find powder everywhere. I ended up scooping all the powder up and reusing it since it wasn't fused at all...:)


Here's the little owl and sealife. They weren't completely fused - hard to tell in the picture, but I didn't want them to melt too much so I stopped there. The owl will get darker once I add it to another pendant, for instance.


Here are the ones I fused next to their molds, so you can see how much they shrank. I have heard of polar fuses shrinking even more...I think the key is packing the powders into the molds well. The flower at the bottom needs to be fused more, which is why the color looks strange, but it was melting too much in the center so I stopped there. The MWK doesn't leave you a whole lot of control temperature wise!


Here's a few from a different mold - one of my favorites! I have used it a lot...the sun face on the right is in polymer clay...once again, you can see how much the glass shrinks with this technique. I dipped my finger in mica powder again for the moon on the left before I fused him. He melted a wee bit too much so I am glad I used the mica...it keeps their features a little bit even though the shape isn't perfect.


I ended up using the sealife pieces on a piece of dichroic that actually broke in the kiln....the figures hid the crack quite well when I fused it back together. :) You can see the seahorse and crab darkened somewhat on this second firing. The colors of the pendant remind me of the ocean and sand on the beach....I used the trick I saw elsewhere of using that flat bezel wire to make a bail for it. This one has found a good home!


UPDATED 7/25/15: Forgot to add this cautionary tale when I wrote this: I tried to do the same thing with another dichro pendant that broke, with some other polar fused shapes I had on hand from the same mold. I let it go just a few seconds too long and look what happened! :P Seconds count in a microwave kiln!



 Thanks again for looking - make sure to stop by my Pinterest page to see a lot more of my creations, and please like my Facebook page, Karmic Confetti

9 comments:

  1. these turned out really wonderful! I didn't realize how tiny some are!!! kewl kewl :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! My kiln is quite small, I think it's around 3.5" across....so I can only fire small things in it, perfect for jewelry! The next thing on my wishlist is a larger one! That is why I started adding a quarter to my jewelry pics, so you can see the sizes! :) Hadn't started doing that when I took these. Thanks for the comment, Marilyn!

      Delete
    2. That last picture shows about how large a pendant I can make in my little microwave kiln, btw! I would love to make larger things in it, but I think I want a real kiln next time! :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I love them. Can you use any kind of glass in the microwave kiln? I'm thinking of buying one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzie...thank you! You can use any type of glass in a kiln but you cannot mix glass that you don't know the "COE" of. That is how fast it melts...there are several types but two for the kiln...90 and 96. You cannot mix the two. If you try to melt one type to the other, it will eventually pop off! Glass from anywhere else...you can't tell what the COE is so it will not work with any other glass but itself. I mostly use 90 with my kiln and bought 3lbs of scrap black 96...I ended up using it (as you can see throughout my blog!) with mica powders and stamps to get a different look to it...since I couldn't decorate it with the glass I had on hand. So you CAN use stained glass and scrap glass...some use window glass...but only with the piece you cut it from since you don't know the COE. HTH!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your response Karma! Very helpful.

      I want to make my own class molds. I work with ceramics. Any chance that would work in a microwave kiln?

      Delete
    3. I believe people do, but I have never tried it. I believe they don't last long in the microwave, maybe a firing or two. Not sure you can make actual ceramics in a microwave kiln though. I think they use greenware for molds. Some make molds from molding material, as discussed in this post. HTH! http://fusedglass.org/node/793

      Delete
    4. If you haven't joined yet, there is a great group on Facebook for microwave kilns, you can also ask there!

      Delete
  3. Where did you find your molds??

    ReplyDelete