Thursday, May 28, 2015

I Ain't Lion (Glass Engraving)

Been having fun with my newfound hobby - glass engraving. I decided to fuse a glass blank and use my rotary tool to engrave it. It didn't show up well so I used some black paint and rubbed it into the engraving.. It's okayyyy....but meh. 



Then I found some clear stained glass I had put away and went to town! This lion is freehand, and my very first attempt. I actually drew it on paper first and then used it as a guide beneath the glass. I wanted to make sure his eyes were straight and the face wasn't lopsided, as in some of my sgraffito attempts!  There's a lady named Lesley Pyke who has a video on Youtube of her engraving a lion on a Tudor leaded glass mug...It is AMAZING. So that video was my inspiration, and  I really liked the way it came out...at first....for a first attempt, at least! I have some rubber polishing inserts for my rotary tool that allowed me to do some basic shading around his mouth and in his mane. I must get more! :)


I started looking around on the internet at tiger pictures and got a bright idea...why not use a better picture underneath the glass to work from? I don't know whose work this is, but it's really lovely...


This is the result. I finally got it through my head to only engrave the light areas of the picture...:)  It probably needs a little bit of tweaking, yet but - I am very happy with the way this one came out!




Thanks for looking - make sure to stop by my Pinterest page to see a lot more of my creations, and like my Facebook page, Karmic Confetti

No comments:

Post a Comment