Wednesday, September 16, 2015

More Mokume with Marilyn's Tutorial - Polymer Clay

I've been doing a lot of wire wrapping but ran out of things to wrap so I made another batch of Marilyn's Mokume Gane. I didn't want so much brown this time but the first attempt came out dark again. I finally got some gold Inka Gold and I think it turned some things darker than they were. It may have been a certain shade of alcohol ink I used, too, not sure. Or, I mixed some colors together that turned dark. But regardless, I wasn't happy with the first ones and made a new batch that I used to cover the other ones with. I like these much better! There's never any waste with polymer clay!

I mostly mixed reds, pink, orange and yellow. Quite a bit of purple, which almost completely disappeared!  A touch of green here and there, being careful to keep it away from other colors. I had recently got the Poppyfield set and wanted to try the red. I also got some regular two part resin (as compared to the UV Magic Glos) and was very happy with the results. It is MUCH cheaper (especially if you use a coupon on it!) and I didn't have too many problems with dog hair or dust, as I feared. I covered them with a plastic lid as soon as I did them though, which helps! A few of them I had to cover with resin twice, as it pulled away from the edge, but I was able to do it with no problems. 

Front side There's a lot of unseen sparkle in those oranges and greens! There is still brown but I like it...Click to enlarge.

Reverse side of above cab. The brown streak in the center right is actually black clay mixing with the gold colored Inka Gold.  It gave some of these cabs a beautiful shimmer. Love the yellow/orange in this one!
I love these inks and the bright colors! More sparkle not too visible in the photo...

This donut is actually a premade clay ring that I made with the Sculpy mold that makes the bezels as well as the cabs. It was white and boring so I covered it with a sheet from the MG stack. Love it, though it is tiny!
I added a LOT of purple in this stack and you can barely find it...there is a trace in this one.

I love the orange and yellow together in this one. 

This one is actually a very old bead. I made a Fauxpal ages ago but the back was plain, and thought I'd put MG on the back. It had a coat of Magic Glos on it and it turned a golden yellow once I baked! Could have sworn I read you could bake it...


Looks like a sunset and a tunnel underground...:)

Stay tuned...there are more coming! WHERE did the purple go? lol

I was also able to finally resin some Pebeo painted surfaces I did about a month ago. I like to go overboard letting it dry! I don't like the ripply look it can get if you resin it too soon! The one below really does have a resin dome,,,it's just sooo clear!

This is some kind of embossed metal sticker. It came in a pack of four (haven't covered the others in resin yet) and I think I got it at the dollar store! The Pebeo colors in this are from the discovery pack. I think this is one of the first things I painted.

Caught another brass dragonfly! No steampunk gears this time...

Last but not least..
That's it for now. I have a bunch more I covered with resin that are curing or getting ready to cure so I'll be back to show you more soon! Thanks for looking and come back soon! Make sure to like my FB page!

No comments:

Post a Comment