Sunday, October 4, 2015

Good Copper & Braided Mokume Gane - Wire Weaving

Warning - This post contains a lot of photos! :) I recently got inspired to buy Lisa Barth's book on wire, called Timeless Wire Weaving: The Complete Course. I love it! I've made three or four projects from it already. They aren't perfect but I could not have made them without this book!

The bail on the stone is similar to one in the book. The bail on the VK chain is my own design

Closer view.  That is triple Viking Knit...I made the chain, as well (first picture).

I need to find a good source for turquoise, or make my own from polymer clay!
This bracelet was made with much larger wire than the book suggested. It is quite large...but I don't care, I love it! The square stones in it are some kind of agate, I think. They are green, which isn't coming out in the photos too well!

The beads on the side are glass Toho matte finish beads. They were the closest to turquoise I had!
I just love that weave at the back! I will be using it frequently! The large wire I used (the outer wire is some I stripped from electricians wire, I think it's about 16g! The inner base wire is some 18 I got at Home Depot.) made this huge but very striking!  I am going to try this one again in the right gauge next time! I think it will look much more delicate. I believe the wrapping wire was 24g.


This is the second bail I made from her book. Love that weave! :)


On this bracelet I decided to use the correct gauge after how large the other one came out! I love it...it is so delicate and lacy looking. I am so glad I bought her book!

Here's the both of them together so you can see the difference! Lol...

Last time I posted I promised pics of my last batch of Marilyn's MG technique after I put resin on them, so I thought I'd put them in this post as well, since I finally got them wire wrapped. I decided on a five wire braided wrap. I did not use the Magic Glos this time, I used Clearcast Resin and I have to say it is much cheaper and I am just as happy with the results!





The wire rose below I entered into a contest on Facebook. I didnt win but I still like it! It can be easily removed and put on another chain, as well. Yes, in this photo is the same Viking knit I posted up top. :D


The one below is unique in that I used a gold colored copper wire for the 5 strand braid and the Viking knit it is shown with. That Viking knit is different because it is double wire for a portion right in the center, where the pendant is. I got the idea for the clasp from the book by Lisa Barth, as well! And yes, again it is from my last Mokume Gane batch. :) Love the colors I got this time! Not sure where the purple went though....



The last pendant is a little smaller than the rest. It is unique because I didn't really use a tutorial for it! A fellow group member on one of my Facebook groups told me how to do the zig zag weave and I had to try it! I really like how it came out. The stone is only a little over an inch so it is one of the smaller pendants I've made.

The other side...which might be the front? Hehe.
And this odd character is a polymer clay bead I made years ago and didn't quite know what to do with. It is a faux ivory piece. I saw someone on my Viking knit FB group make something similar and decided my egg would work! :D Maybe better around Easter? The wire I used is Parawire and came darkened like that....



Thanks for looking and come back soon! Make sure to like my FB page!



No comments:

Post a Comment