Monday, March 23, 2015

Cutting glass with Scissors - better than running with them!


This video has been all the talk of our Microwave Kiln Fusing group! And it's super easy to do! I found it easier and faster to do this than use the grinder, and leaves a softer edge than nippers do.


I used this pair of heavy duty nippers that seemed to work better than my old shears. I think having a shorter blade helped. I did try to use regular scissors and they worked fine but this glass was a bit thicker and these worked better on it. You can see the little bits of glass I had after I was done. It is advisable to wear gloves and eye protection before attempting this! "Don't try this at home!" Below you see the pieces I started off with...well, the two on the left were already nipped.


Below are the pieces after I trimmed them with my blades. They are rough, but for fusing, this is fine as they will self round in a lot of cases. I love science! :) The triangle shape above became the oval below. And I used this technique to round the edges of my etched piece of stained glass on the lower left. If you do decide to try it, take tiny cuts, don't think this is like cutting paper! Little nibbles work best. You don't want to crack it or break it in the wrong place! I suggest trying it on some scrap glass, like I did below.


I hope you try this easy technique...! Let me know how it goes if you do! Thanks for visiting and make sure to stop by my Pinterest page and like my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment