Monday, March 16, 2015

Polymer Clay Rose Cane and a Dummy

I've been playing around with rose canes again. My mother's name was Rosemary so I've always had special feelings about this flower. I made the clay couch and covered Altoid tin pictured below years ago and still have both!


There is one rose cane I keep seeing that I love but I am not willing to pay $30 to learn how to make it! Just can't do it these days...or I would! But I found a link recently that is very similar so I decided to give it a try. My results are below. They are unfinished yet, as I haven't glazed them. I did my trick about pressing the back into coarse sandpaper dusted with cornstarch to hide fingerprints on the back. I also used my 1/4" wide flat wire to make bezels for them...baked them right on. If I made them thinner, I could have used the bezel rims to hold resin in for doming. Some are in black wire, others in gold colored. I used several tricks I learned recently to reduce...put end caps on each end (I usually use those acrylic blocks for stamping) and use scrap clay on the ends to reduce waste of your clay cane. I ended using those scraps, too. Never very much waste with PC!



The last project I have to show you is actually several years old. This little clay mannikin has sat mostly covered with clay for at least five years! I never knew how to finish her. I had the bodice and skirt done but the top was unfinished. I decided to use an ivory cane since it is sort of flesh colored, and to use the technique that looks like a knit to finish her top. I don't think that technique even existed when I started working on her! :D All I can say is I am glad I took the photo before baking! She got a large crack right up her front afterwards! Sigh. It's my own fault. I should have finished her sooner! I think the clay sort of dried out. Also, it wasn't nearly thick enough. I should have coated the entire thing in a layer of waste clay before starting to piece her together. I guess I still could...just cover her and start again! 

Thanks for visiting and make sure to stop by my Pinterest page and like my Facebook page


No comments:

Post a Comment